Sunday, January 13, 2008

Vcon Leek and Bean Cassoulet = Omni-Approved!


I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!!! Okay, just thought I'd put it out there. But seriously, this is one of the greatest wintery comfort-food dishes because not only is it flavorful and simple to make ahead, but OMNI'S love it too (at least the ones in my family)! The picture above is actually of the leftovers I ate for lunch the next day, so the vegetables look less vibrant than they were when I first made this, but it still was delicious. I actually made the stew part over the weekend and froze it so all I had to do was thaw it, make the biscuits, and bake it and we had dinner one night in less than 30 minutes. My dad and I both agreed that the biscuits on top really made the dish; they were tender and hearty since I used half whole wheat flour. I had to save the last of my non-hydrogenated shortening for a pie my mom and I will be making later this week, so I used Earth Balance for the biscuits instead, and I think this made them even better! Every once in awhile I would find a little pocket of melted margarine in the biscuit and it tasted so rich and salty and buttery- yummmmmmmmm. My little brother wouldn't touch this since it had "too many vegetables," but both of my parents loved it and said they felt very healthy after eating this, but in a positive way, so that means this will be making another appearance on our dinner table.

No comments: