Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Surprise Inside

On the outside it may appear to be an ordinary pretzel, but take a look inside and you will see that it really is....

....a pizza-stuffed pretzel!

It's difficult to see in the picture, but these pretzels are stuffed with pizza sauce and basil tofu ricotta (both from VWAV) which used some of the fresh basil my brother is growing in our garden. I veganized Alton Brown's recipe for the pretzel dough since Alton Brown has never steered me wrong, but I changed the procedures up a bit. After letting the dough rise, I rolled it out into a long rectangle and cut it into 8 strips and then rolled out each strip until it was about 2 ft. long and 3 in. wide. I put the pizza sauce in a plastic bag and cut a very small hole in the corner and then did the same with the ricotta mixture in a separate bag so piping the two fillings would be much easier. I piped a line of each mixture along the pretzel strips, folded the dough over the sauce and ricotta, sealed it, folded the rope into a pretzel shape, and then proceed with the rest of the recipe! All these need is some extra pizza sauce on the side for dipping and you have the perfect pretzel! Sure, making these was really time consuming and got kinda messy, but it was really fun and the end result was great. I actually only got to try half of a pretzel because my family had eaten them all by the next day! Yep, these are a winner :)

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

stuffed pretzels??? fabulous!!! oh and Alton Brown is awesome :0)

Janet said...

Very cute! I'm sure they're well worth the effort.

Anonymous said...

Alton Brown rocks - I wish he were a vegetarian. I would love to claim him!

Erin said...

You win. At life. You also win my heart. And I also have a big crush on AB.

Anonymous said...

How awesome! Alton Brown is the only Food Network person I can really stand watching, too.

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

Anonymous said...

This is an AWESOME idea!! I have made jumbo pretzels before but never stuffed ones. I know what I'm making next time!

Ari (Baking and Books)

jessy said...

oh my goodness - these are GLORIOUS! i think i need to make some stuffed pretzels, too! yours look amazing!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea. I just polished off a batch of soft pretzels I had made last year and froze. I kept forgetting about them.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh my gosh I am so impressed by your pretzel!!!

tofufreak said...

these look so superb! great idea!