Saturday, March 15, 2008

Pizza and Caramel Pretzel Ice "Cream"


I know, I said my next pizza would probably be a barbecue pizza, but I'm think that I might save that for when the weather feels more like summer (right now it's just beginning to feel like spring!). So instead, I made a classic pizza. I really really really wanted to make the Isa Pizza from VWAV, but I had no mushrooms, olives, or pesto- what the hell's up with that? So yeah, I was kinda pissed for awhile since I had the dough from VWAV made and my heart was really set on pizza, but I made the tofu ricotta (also from VWAV) anyways and made the pizza with what I had. It was very simple, but still so very good! I just think I should have added a little more salt to the tofu ricotta since my pizza sauce wasn't very salty and the pesto probably would have added a nice saltiness. I packed some of the leftover slices for lunch last week, and my friends were so impressed! I never really noticed until recently (or maybe I did and never thought about it enough...) how impressed omnivores can be of well-made vegan food. Granted, many are also kind of creeped out, but it's nice to see that not all are like that. Okay, so enough of the pizza- it's time for some sugar!

(yes, this is in a cup that I kept after getting gelato several years ago...)

Using the proportions and method of the ice "cream" recipe from Vegan Ice Cream Paradise, I changed a few things and made my own ice cream! I've been really into the whole sweet and salty combo lately, so I think that's what sparked the idea for this recipe. It is very sweet, but I think it's works rather nicely since there is more salt in this ice cream than most recipes. I also added crushed pretzels to add on to the saltiness and for added texture. Now, I know what you're thinking- pretzels won't stay crunchy if they're frozen, right? Well....yeah, you're right. But, honestly, I don't mind. It's still a nice texture and I kinda like how the soft pretzels bits melt in your mouth, as the ice cream does as well. If you wan't a little more crunch and maybe a new dimension of flavor, try adding some crushed, salted peanuts instead of the pretzels!

Caramel Pretzel Ice Cream:

3/4 c. soymilk (plain or vanilla)
2 1/4 c. soy creamer
2 T. arrowroot (or cornstarch)
2/3 c. sugar
3 T. vegan margarine
1 t. vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla soymilk)
1- 2 t. salt (depends on how salty you want it)
1/2 c. crushed pretzels

Mix 1/4 c. soymilk with the arrowroot or cornstarch and set aside. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the sugar. be sure to stir constantly! I left for maybe 30 seconds, and I ended up burning the sugar and having to wash my pan and start all over again. It's really not fun. Anyways, once the sugar is melted, add the margarine. It will probably bubble up. Slowly (this is important) add the remaining soymilk and soy creamer to the melted sugar. Now, this will definitely bubble up quite a bit, but just keep stirring. Add the salt and cornstarch at this point if you are using it and cook until slightly thickened. Add the vanilla and take the mixture off the heat. If you are using arrowroot, add it at this point and the mixture should thicken. Chill this for several hours and then freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions. After it is the texture of soft serve, stir in the pretzels and freeze until hardened.





2 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

Tha ice cream sounds sooooo good. Oh, and the pizza too :-)

J said...

Mmmm pizza sounds fantastic right about now, I don't care that it's 8 am! I'm hungry dammit!

Ooooooooooooh, wait, I think I'd rather have that ice cream! Mmmmmmm.