Thursday, December 20, 2007

(Almost) Winter Break!! :)

Okay- so it's officially in one more day, but i don't care. I can't wait for two nice, looooooooooooooong weeks of no school. Plus, it'll give me plenty of time to make some yummy food!
On another note, yes, I realize that I already ruined my "post-every-week" rule, but I was busy with a shitload of school work before break, so I have an excuse. However, last Saturday, I made some stuff and managed to actually get some photos, so here you go:

I saw this recipe on L.A. Kitchen for Roasted Tempeh with Creamy Dijon Sauce, Horseradish Mashed Potatoes, and Sauteed Spinach (geez, that's a mouthful. Hahaha- silly pun...cause it's food and all.........that was bad). I didn't have any regular potatoes, so I used a sweet potato instead. It was good, but I think it would have been better with a plain white potato as the sweetness didn't really compliment the flavor of the spinach. But it did taste great with just the tempeh and sauce, so maybe I'll nix the spinach next time. Also, I didn't include horseradish because, after double-checking the ingredients of the jarred horseradish in my fridge which hasn't been used in months, I discovered that one of the ingredients is eggs. EGGS?!?!? I thought I must have grabbed the jar of the horseradish sauce instead, but nope, it was just regular horseradish. Does anybody else find this as odd as I do? Darn, I need new horseradish now......



I also made these brownies from Vivacious Vegan. These truly are GOOD. I didn't realize until I was eating these how long it has been, even before becoming a vegan, since I've had homemade brownies. It's probably been over two years!! How did this happen??? Thank goodness I made these as I don't think I could have gone much longer! I didn't add the nuts because I only had pecans and almonds, and anything other than walnuts doesn't seem right in brownies, but they were still awesome. The crackly top, the ooey-gooey melted chocolate chips..mmmmmm.... The brownies were slightly more cakey then I thought they'd be, but that may be my fault. I didn't have enough maple syrup so I just used sugar and added about 1/4 cup of extra soymilk, but the batter still seemed way to dry and playdoh-ish. So I added more soymilk until the batter was the "normal" consistency of brownie batter. This probably messed them up a bit, so I don't blame the recipe at all.

Here's my first home-made brownie in years right before it somehow got in my tummy (how on earth did that happen...hm......):



Since I probably won't be posting again until after Xmas, I guess I'll share what I plan to make so far. Expect this to change within the next four days, though:
  • Either the Double-Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake or Eggnog Cheesecake from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. I was leaning towards the pumpkin, but my family sort of over-ruled me and requested the eggnog cheesecake. I guess you'll just have to wait and see what I decide on!
  • This Crockpot Gluten Roast. I've never made seitan before, but I finally bought some vital wheat gluten last night, so I'm gonna try it! I figured this would be a good starter, since it's made in a crockpot and all. Also, I'm totally going to be obsessed with making big batches of EVERYTHING to freeze leftovers to stock up my freezer; it's my officially mission for the next two weeks. Seitan's good for freezing right? Hope so, cause I'll be freezing the leftovers for some good sammiches or stir fries (or just dinner when I'm lazy).
  • just some good ol' plain green beans. My grandma's making them with butter and toasted almond, but offered to take some out before adding them to the butter. Sure it'll be boring, but it's healthy and I like green beans.
  • maybe some cornbread muffins I made (and froze!) last week from the Chicago Diner cookbook I bought while I was there for my birthday in November. These were great and I even offered to bring some to my grandma's for everyone to have, but she said she already had way too much food. She felt bad to refuse, but I'm okay with it. I don't like that people think it's okay to have ridonculous (yes I meant to type that word) amounts of food laid out for everyone to attempt to eat when they no half of it will go uneaten, so I appreciate her decision. Besides- more for me to eat at home!
Well, I think that's all I have for now. I'll try to post as soon as possible with some great pics of the holidays!

No comments: