Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day

Well, to start- happy Earth Day everyone! As much as I love the idea behind a holiday dedicated to respecting one's planet, I find it a little ridiculous. Our planet, the source of all which keeps us alive, certainly deserves more attention than one day's worth. I do applaud the media for attempting to promote "greenness" more than in the past, but I don't think enough changes are being made. Celebrities are becoming spokespeople for "going green," but I don't think even this is encouraging others to start caring about the environment. I admit that my family is not always the most environmentally-friendly we can be, but I'm always aware of my decisions and make a conscious effort to do the best I can. Oh gosh, I sound so terribly negative! Okay, it's a holiday- time to be positive!


Though I have no idea what it has to do with Earth Day (well, I suppose a vegan diet is environmentally-friendly everyday, so it works!), I made the Pomegranate BBQ Tofu from VWAV along with some sauteed kale (olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, crushed red pepper- perfecto!) for a nice, healthy dinner. This is definitely one of my new favorite tofu recipes! The sauce is sweet, slightly tangy, but the flavor is so smooth and complex. My mom tasted the sauce and was so shocked by how great it was! She convinced my sister (who constantly insults veganism, even though she likes a lot of food that I have made) and her friend to try some of the sauce and I convinced them to try it along with the tofu- they loved it too! The recipe for the sauce makes A LOT- I probably could have even tripled the tofu. But I just kept the leftover sauce and will be putting it on everything. This may sound odd, but I tried some sun-dried tomatoes (not the marinated kind) dipped in the BBQ sauce tonight and I already know that I will snacking on that all day tomorrow. I don't think I will ever buy bottled barbecue sauce ever again- this recipe inspired me to make my own and keep some on hand all the time! And it just so happens there are the Apricot and Backyard BBQ Sauce recipes in Vcon. I'll be trying those soon, but I'm still enjoying the Pomegranate BBQ Sauce for now!

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Happy Earth Day!! :0)

So glad that your family loved that V'con recipe - it sounds so delectable!

Rural Vegan said...

Wow that looks great! I agree with you about making your own BBQ sauce too. It's so easy to make your own, and then it's not loaded with high fructose corn syrup!

J said...

I have a pin I wear on my bag that says 'Everyday is Earth Day', that's how we should live.

That picture is gorgeous, the color is excellent. And I LOVE kale, I don't eat it enough.

Alicia said...

Well, I don't own VWAV, but you just gave me an excuse to try the BBQ sauce of Vcon! because the tofu looks unbelievably good!

Jess said...

I've had that book for almost two years now, and STILL haven't tried that recipe. It really looks amazing, and it really sounds amazing... So I don't know what's been taking me so long! So many delicious tofu recipes, so little time. :)

The way you described your kale is exactly how I make mine! Sometimes I cook a little white wine with it, too. Soooo good!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Earth Day! Looks like you had a very tasty way to celebrate. :)

Ruby Red said...

The tofu certainly sounds amazing! I admire you for making homemade bbq sauce - I really need to step it up and try that myself sometime! I bet the taste is definitely worth it.