Monday, September 1, 2008

All Good Things Must Come to an End....

Flipping through my copy of VWAV, I noticed that the recipe for Mango Summer Rolls had been bookmarked the entire summer! While the season is coming to an end (and school is beginning next week! Boohoo.....even though we normally start a few weeks earlier so I can't complain) the weather here is still very reminiscent of the hot summer months and I knew that these refreshing summer rolls would be a welcome meal in my home. The assembly of these was a little tricky at first, but after a few I had the technique down and they came together rather quickly. My family and I loved these and the dipping sauce that went along with the rolls (though I did change it a bit- I added some red pepper flakes and substituted 1/4 c. peanut butter for the chopped peanuts since I prefer more of a peanut butter based sauce) and my only regret is making them so late in the summer.... However, I then remembered that there is more of an autumn-inspired spring roll recipe in Vcon so now I have the perfect dish to use up the leftover rice paper wrappers- goodie!

I've been enjoying more of my parfaits with my new-found love, Whole Soy & Co. yogurt. The one pictures above features the strawberry variety of yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, sliced bananas, and my own homemade granola. I've been making this granola several times a week because my mom and I have used it almost every morning! It's super delicious and versatile and, while I prefer sunflower seeds and walnuts in my granola, you can add (or omit) any types of nuts/seeds you like. Dried fruit also make an awesome addition to this granola, especially raisins and dried apricots because of the warm flavor from the apple juice and cinnamon.

Crunchy Cluster Granola Recipe:

2 c. rolled oats
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/4 c. chopped walnuts
3 T. maple syrup
1/4 c. apple juice
pinch salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. freshly ground nutmeg

Mix together all ingredients in a bowl and spread onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.


Oh! I almost forgot- Happy Labor Day, everyone! Tomorrow, it's back to work.....

8 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, the granola sounds SO good & so do the rolls!

Ruby Red said...

Those rolls look incredible! I've always wanted to try that recipe, too. I definitely like your version of the sauce better than the one in the book!

The parfait looks incredible too -- and it is quite adorable in that glass. Parfaits are my new favorite snack as of yesterday. They are so satisfying and healthy! I've been making them with So Delicious plain soy yogurt (it's thick and amazing), giant peaches, and walnuts. I need to buy more yogurt now! Clustery granola sounds awesome too!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, spring rolls and a parfait - divine!!

Classes start today for me (eeek!!) - good luck when you start!

Anonymous said...

You can never have too many recipes for granola... This one sounds great, too. Good luck back at work!

VeganCowGirl said...

I love love love the spring rolls. LOVE THEM! You have inspired me to pay too much money for a mango tomorrow and give that a try.

Great blog!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I've been wanting to make spring rolls (regular non-sweet ones) for a while now, but have been too lazy. But now that I've seen your post, I think when I get around to making them, I'll HAVE to try those mango ons, because oh-my-gosh do they look good!

Vegan_Noodle said...

THose are some awesome looking spring rolls! I hope you do try the autumn ones from v-con... I've been meaning to make them and maybe seeing your photo will motivate me!!

I could've used one of those parfaits for breakfast this morning...

Hope school is off to a good start :-)

Rural Vegan said...

Your spring rolls are so beautiful and I would kill for one of those parfaits right now. I mean it, I might actually kill someone for it! Look out!