Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Fruits of My Labor

Here it is: my home-grown butternut squash! While I only got two squashes from my plant (I suspect some critters were snacking on the blossoms...), it was worth it because I was so proud of the little guys! I went back and forth decided what to make with my two precious squashes until I finally came to a conclusion:

I, of course, had to try the Butternut Squash Soup from VWAV! I will admit that I would have been perfectly happy ending the recipe after the squash was roasted and found myself snacking on it as it cooled far too much, but I was sooo happy with the final product and remembered how much I love squash-based soups. My family loved it as well and so did many of my dad's coworkers who were lucky enough to have this for lunch the next day (I sent off the leftovers with my dad to work). I can't wait to make this soup again and maybe some sort of variation? I'm sad that I will have to used store bought squash, but I have a feeling it will still be amazing.

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Your homegrown squash is EXQUISITE!!! You definitely have a knack for farming/gardening :0)

Oooh, scrumptious soup!! I bet that for a variation, a Sweet Potato-Butternut Squash soup would be lovely...

Anonymous said...

So impressive! We tried to grow pumpkin one year and just ended up with invasive vines that bore no fruit. I would have been thrilled with a single gourd, so I'd say that's a pretty good harvest.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Wow, lucky! When I tried to grow a butternut squash, the critters ate ALL the blossoms (greedy little guys).

Haha I know what you mean about snacking on the roasted squash-- I hardly ever make anything with my squash after I roast it, because eating it plain is just so darn yummy!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Your own homegrown butternut squash... that is so cool!! And soup is the perfect fall dish to make with it. I love adding curry powder and coconut milk to my butternut squash soup. Maybe some red lentils too. Mmmmmm

Erin said...

That's very impressive for home grown! Love butternut squash soup.

Anonymous said...

That soup looks amazing! And congrats on the homegrown squash!


I always snack on the ingredients whenever I'm making a recipe. I can't help myself =)