Sunday, October 26, 2008

Only 5 Days to go!

... till Halloween, that is! There's no hiding that it's my favorite holiday, so I'm pretty darn excited. Anyways, onto what I've been eating lately. I've been able to try out a few new recipes from Vcon and VCTOTW and, thankfully, they've all been outstanding. I tried out the Spicy Tempeh and Broccoli Rabe Rotelle (subbing broccoli for the broccoli rabe since I love broccoli so much) for dinner one night and I'm in love with it! The best part of this dish without a doubt was the spicy tempeh. It was so juicy and flavorful and if you haven't already, you have to make it! I will for sure make this dish again but, since it did take quite a bit of time, I know I will at least be making the tempeh on its own very regularly.

I was also able to make the Tofu Florentine from Vcon and it's another winner! The broiled tofu itself didn't quite "wow" me, but set atop a crispy english muffin, sauteed spinach, and smothered in Cheezy Sauce, it all tasted delicious. I have some Cheezy Sauce left over so I can't wait to see what else I can do with it (I'm thinking in a tofu scramble burrito, maybe? yum.....)


My mom had some women over from her work Friday night for a party and I was on cupcake duty. My mom chose the Chai Latte cupcakes and the Maple Cupcakes with Sugared Walnuts from VCTOTW to fit in with the autumn theme of her party. She even went out and bought a cupcake stand to display them all (and you can see in the picture that some were already taken off and eaten before I was able to get a picture!). Everyone loved both varieties, but I think the Chai Latte cupcakes needed either a glaze or frosting on top because most people chose the Maple ones because of the frosting. Either way, everything was a hit! Also, as a side note- the sugared walnuts that go along with the Maple cupcakes are the best things ever. I had about half of them left over after making the cupcakes and my sister and I ate all of them because we just couldn't stop snacking on them.

6 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I love Halloween too! Are you dressing up? I plan on dressing up even when I am 80 years old :o)

Anonymous said...

all of your food looks so darn good. im getting hungry right now just looking at those cupcakes. and i'm the same with maple glazed pecans- they never last in my house... or my hands haha

Vegan_Noodle said...

Halloween is the best. Are you dressing up? I have a party to go to and no costume yet!

I need to mark that spicy tempeh with rotelle as a must try. I've been meaning to for while now.

Oh and your cupcakes look awesome. They both sound perfect for fall and I wouldn't be able to stop snacking either!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Now it's only FOUR days until Halloween - hooray!! :0)

Your food never ceases to amaze me - yum!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad, I'm going to miss Halloween this year! I need to start driving that afternoon so that I can get to Boston in time for VegFest... Have an -extra- good time for me, okay?

Anonymous said...

Unfortunetely I didn't have time to get a costume or make plans for halloween because of my move across country. I'm so sad as I've never missed a year and I love dressing up.


But those cupcakes are cheering me up, I love the chai tea ones plain. I think it's all the spices.


I've been meaning to make that tofu dish too but never get around to it. Now that I know how good it looks I might have to make it very soon!