Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pasgetti and Beanballs


Yeah, that's how I said it as a little kid....I also pronounced "burger" as "booger" until I was eight. Either way you pronounce it, nothing goes better with spaghetti than Beanballs from Vcon. Just to continue with my freezing obsession that I've had since winter break, I made a bunch of these lil guys and (what else?) froze 'em! I just baked them as the recipe said but didn't add any sauce, let them cool, froze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet for a of couple hours, and put them in plastic baggies! I suspected after reading the recipe that these would be pretty good, but I had no idea how good- I really really love them. My dad has been trying to eat less meat since he's really into running and has noticed that a lot of his running buddies aren't huge meat eaters, so he tried a few of these beanballs on his pasta and really liked them. He said that they're a little more bready than "meaty" in texture than he was expecting, which I think is probably because of the vital wheat gluten, but he enjoyed them nonetheless! Oh, and because this recipe is pretty "hippy-ish," I decided to go ahead and add some chopped walnuts and pecans just because I love embracing my inner hippy. So, for those of you who still haven't bought Vcon, go do it- NOW! This recipe is probably my favorite from this book so far!

P.S.- I finally decided on a dessert to make for Valentine's Day (to try out "My Sweet Vegan"). However, because my family and I will not be in town on Valentine's Day, I'll be making for the week after- but it still counts, right? Oh yeah, me not being in town- I should probably explain that. Well my grandparents own a house in Ft. Lauderdale and we usually spend President's day weekend down there every year, so that's where well will be going! So... I probably won't be able to post from the 14th- 18th, but I'll try to take lots of good photos!

1 comment:

Vegan_Noodle said...

I have so been meaning to try the beanballs. Can't wait to see what treat you make for v-day!