Friday, February 1, 2008

SNOW DAY

YAY!!! While I actually hate snow and cold weather, I am happy that I'll be getting an extra day added onto my weekend. This is only the second snow day my high school has had in over 15 year, I think. The first one was just last year, so the odds of this happening were not likely (while the rest of the school near me always have snow days, mine apparently is evil). So what's a girl who doesn't like playing in the snow to do on a day like this? Bake, of course!


I made banana bread using some overly ripe bananas I had frozen a few weeks ago. Sorry- no inside shots! Anyways, I've been using this recipe for years and it was so easy to veganize, so if figured I didn't want to experiemtn with any new recipes. It's nothing special, just a typical recipe that my mom has in her cookbook. Oh, I don't think I've mentioned my mom's book before! Well, when I was younger my mom dedicated every night for about two year to typing up every single recipe she collected over the years from magazines, books, or family members and put them all into a giant binder that is known as "Mom's Cookbook." I also made an extra half batch after I made this loaf for some muffins which I froze. I know that most people probably already have a banana bread recipe that they use (religiously, if you;re like me), but if anyone wants a really good, reliable one, I'm share my family's recipe.


Banana Bread:

1/2 c. oil
2/3 c. sugar
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 flax "eggs"
1/2 t. vanilla
3 T. soymilk
2 c. flour (any kind will do- I like 1/2 all-purpose and 1/2 whole wheat)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
chocolate chips or chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, soft together dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture along with the nuts/chocolate (if using). Put batter into a loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour, though it may take up to 1 hour and 15 minutes.

No comments: