Wednesday, January 30, 2008

And It's Not Even Sunday!


This seems to be the product of what happens when I begin craving peanut butter around dinner time but have yet to go to the store to buy any bread for a sandwich. But you know what? I'm so glad this happened. I'm not sure how I thought of tofu satay, since I've only had the non-vegan version of this dish once when I was like seven years old I think. I remember loving it though! I pretty much improvised when it came to this dish, but I was sure to write down the quantities of stuff I used so I could replicate this again if it was good or change it if it wasn't. Well, I think it goes without saying that almost anything with peanut butter will be pretty good, but this was awesome. I already plan on making this again sometime next week for a quick dinner after school or lunch on the weekend. Oh, before I share the recipe I just wanna mention that you could always fry the tofu and have little tofu nuggets for dipping instead of broiling/grilling it when making this dish. In fact, I probably will try that next time I make this to convince my dad to eat some of it. Anyways, I broiled this because I wanted a little lighter and healthier dinner and it was still super satisfying, but if I do make it with fried tofu I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

Tofu Satay:

1 lb. firm/extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
1/4 c. peanut butter (all-natural, please!)
1/2 c. plain soymilk
1 T. garlic powder

1 T. soy sauce
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)

Cut the tofu into small chunks, about 1-1 1/2'' squares. At this point you could either put these onto some wooden skewers that have been soaked in water, or not. I didn't since I didn't have any skewers, but I suppose it would a little more authentic. Place the tofu cubes or skewers on a baking tray tha
t has been lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick spray and broil the tofu for about 12-15 minutes. Flip the tofu and broil for another 10-12 minutes. I'm sure you could also grill these if the weather permits or on an indoor grill, but I can't tell you exact times for that. I would just grill them on one side until they get grill marks, flip them, and cook for another 5-10 minutes. For the sauce mix the peanut butter, soymilk, garlic powder, soy sauce and red pepper flakes in a small sauce pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened (it will become thicker as it sits). Serve with tofu and any vegetables you'd like (cauliflower, broccoli, snap peas, green beans, mushrooms, squash are all fun for dipping!) while warm. This serves about 4 as a main dish.




Well after this pretty salty meal my sweet tooth was, of course, going insane! I actually managed to wait a few hours after dinner before eating again since this was rather filling. I still couldn't wait to try out the Santa Cruz Chocolate Sauce I got from Vegan Essentials last week! I was afraid that the Vanilla Soy Dream I used would be too sweet for a chocolate sundae, but the sauce actually mellowed out the sweetness since it was so intense and chocolaty. I still need to get some more Soyatoo, though! I think that's the only thing this sundae was missing, besides the cherry and nuts of course, but I didn't miss it too much once I started eating it. I'll leave you all with my favorite shot of this because even though it's terribly blurry, it still make me drool every time I see it:





No comments: