Sunday, January 6, 2008

Super Duper Healthy Day

I really needed one whole day of nice, light, healthful food since I've been feeling kind of sluggish lately because of the heavy (but soooooo good) food I've been eating with all of the leftovers and desserts in the house. Yesterday I decided I would eat super healthfully to sort of "cleanse" my body (but that sounds so extreme) so I can feel better about myself. Now I know what you're thinking, and yes, I still had my dessert! But let's start with breakfast:


I really love Mrs. May's nut snacks, so I was really happy when my dad found these at Costco (he was like: "Look! They say "vegan" right on the box!" hehe). They come in four flavors I think: blueberry (shown above), cranberry, strawberry, and tropical. I felt so healthy eating this with all of the seeds and nuts an
d fruit. Mmmmmm- this was perfect with an orange banana smoothie I made (not pictured).


I never realized how long it's been since I've had a really good, hearty salad. Gosh- how I missed them! I was planning on making a salad for my mom and I since she's trying to loss a little bit of weight, but my dad asked me if I wanted to go with him to Whole Foods since he wanted a salad, too! How on earth could I resist that huge salad bar when all I had at home was lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots? My salad had romaine lettuce, some spinach leaves, some other random lettuce (can't tell what it was), tomatoes, sunflower seeds, carrots, cucumbers, belle pepper, onions, dried cranberries, and roasted artichoke hearts (even though it's all hidden int he photo)! All I added once I got home was some baked tempeh, sliced almonds, and dressing I made with tahini, nutritional yeast, oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, orange zest, and soy sauce. Maybe I'll play with the dressing a little more and post a recipe in the future. Anyways, this salad was deliscious and so satisfying!


Haha- to me this is sort of a "typical vegan" snack, but it's one of my favorite things to eat when I'm starting to get hungry between lunch and dinner. I found these really good whole grain rice cakes with spelt and flax seed at my grocery store, so I've been using them for just about everything lately. As you can see above, they're awesome topped with some (all-natural, of course) peanut butter or almond butter, sliced bananas, cinnamon and a tiny drizzle of agave nectar.


When I was reading through my copy of Veganomicon (the first thing I do when I get a new cookbook), I saw this recipe for Tangerine Baked Tofu and thought it'd be perfectly light and savory so I used this opportunity to try the recipe. Unfortunately, this was not at all like I expected it to be. It tasted like marmalade and was overly sweet. I even actually followed the recipe this time! Well, I did omit the rum because I try to avoid cooking with alcohol and because I don't think we even have rum or other alcohol in the house (my dad's over 20 years sober and my mom rarely drinks, never at home), but that shouldn't affect it too much, right? Isa and Terry can do no wrong!! Eh- oh well. It was edible, and the brown rice and asparagus I made to go along with this was really good, so I just filled up on that. I never realized how much I like steamed asparagus with just some salt, pepper, and lemon juice.

Okay, now dessert. You thought this would totally ruin my day of low sugar, minimally processed, wholesome food, right? WRONG! I present to you the miracle food:


Acai sorbet! My little brother discovered a couple weeks ago that he loves the acai juice that my sister and I always drink, so my mom bought this sorbet for him to try. This is outstanding stuff, you gotta try it! It's sweet and chocolate-y enough that it's satisfying as a dessert, but healthy enough that you could eat it as a snack, or even for breakfast (think: acai banana smoothie...mmmmm...!) It's sweetened with evaporated cane juice and agave nectar- no refined sugars! My brother liked this, but only ate a little bit at a time, so I've been having some and just finished off the carton last night.

So there you have it. My body feels so much "cleaner" now that the holiday season is over, so I'm happy! But I'm back to school tomorrow and I have finals next week, so my happiness doesn't get to stay for very long :(




2 comments:

Cherry said...

I like your blog. It's great to meet fellow teenage vegan bloggers! I can't see any of the pictures except for the first one. I've seen that Acai sorbet at whole foods before, but I never gave it more than a passing glance because I assumed it had refined sugars, which I try to avoid. Maybe I'll try it sometime!

Animal-Friendly said...

Thank you so much! Also, thanks for letting me know about the pictures not showing up. For some weird reason the pictures for this post have been acting pretty funking, but I just fixed them, so they should be okay now :)